Dear Emily,
I want to thank you for the chance to reflect on my testimony, especially at this time in my life. With the passing of my mother I feel an overwhelming need to document my thoughts and in particular how they relate to the gospel. So, with that said I will share my thoughts here.
I have a firm testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and have to thank my mother for being my first example of a woman of faith and conviction. In her last days we shared a conversation that I will never forget and it taught me much in regards to her testimony even in her last hours of life on this earth. So, I’ll start with this.
I know the Atonement of Jesus Christ was real for my mother. My mother talked of trials and referred to the trial of death. She was experiencing the pain and discomfort of her physical body deteriorating and this was a great trial for her, one of the hardest in her life. But, in the midst of her failing health she expressed thanks for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. She knew that her Savior had taken on all the pain and suffering of mankind and that included her situation. She was experiencing pain, physical pain, and she endured it bravely because she knew her Savior had atoned for even that and in this she found her strength in the end. She knew trials were a part of this life and as she faced her final trial of this life she looked to her Savior and this would be her last lesson to me, one I will never forget.
I know the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real for me. As I overcome my own grief of the separation from my mother through her death, I know that Christ not only wants to take this burden from me but has prepared a way for my mother and I to be reunited again someday. Through his Atonement my mother and I will be made perfect and we will one day see each other again. I believe this to be true and I rejoice at the knowledge that I will one day see my mother again and it will be glorious.
I know the church is true, it was restored to the earth for us in these latter days. I was fortunate to live in a home where this was a sacred truth. It wasn’t a perfect home, but this was one thing that never faltered. I hope to be able to pass this on to my own children. I know that because of the gospel my children will know their grandmother one day and feel of her love just as I have throughout my life, she has not disappeared but instead has been reunited with her loved ones on the other side veil. This is a joyous event for her and I find peace knowing she is happy. I believe that all of my family will be reunited someday and this is because of the gospel and the great plan of salvation.
I know the Book of Mormon to be true. As I study the scriptures I am grateful for the comfort of this book, the clarity it offers on so many subjects including the death of my mother.
I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and I know Thomas S. Monson is the Lord’s chosen mouthpiece for the church at this time. I support these men and find great comfort in their words. Thomas S. Monson at the last conference gave a talk that really hit home with me, it talks about adapting to change and finding joy in the journey. I’ll end with the words of his conference address. He said, “Despite the changes which come into our lives and with gratitude in our hearts, may we fill our days—as much as we can—with those things which matter most. May we cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed. I pray that all of us will reflect gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His glorious gospel provides answers to life’s greatest questions: Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where does my spirit go when I die?
He taught us how to pray. He taught us how to serve. He taught us how to live. His life is a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved.
The time came when He stood alone. Some Apostles doubted; one betrayed Him. The Roman soldiers pierced His side. The angry mob took His life. There yet rings from Golgotha’s hill His compassionate words, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” Earlier, perhaps perceiving the culmination of His earthly mission, He spoke the lament, “Foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.”12 “No room in the inn”13 was not a singular expression of rejection—just the first. Yet He invites you and me to receive Him. “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”14
Who was this Man of sorrows, acquainted with grief? Who is the King of glory, this Lord of hosts? He is our Master. He is our Savior. He is the Son of God. He is the Author of our Salvation. He beckons, “Follow me.”15 He instructs, “Go, and do thou likewise.”16 He pleads, “Keep my commandments.”17
Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His word. By so doing, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude.
Brothers and sisters, my sincere prayer is that we may adapt to the changes in our lives, that we may realize what is most important, that we may express our gratitude always and thus find joy in the journey.”
Thank you again for the opportunity to reflect on what I know to be true.
Best,
Laura


2 comments:
Ah Hah! I found your blog. And I have enjoyed reading your special thoughts. I hope it's been the theraputic experience we have talked about it being so far for you...Also thanks for posting your testimony. It was very touching and full of insight.
thank you laura. it is beautiful, you are an amazing person thank you for being such a great example.
Post a Comment