Saturday, November 29, 2008

Stacked up

I have lots of memories of my mother.  Funny how the little things are the ones that keep popping up on me here today, things that use to bug me because I thought they were odd are now the tender idiocies that all stacked up made my mom.  For instance, she loved to take a long bath once a week usually on Sunday.  We only had one bathroom in our house and she would literally stay in there for hours.  Billowing steam coming out from under the door, if by chance I couldn't make it through the many hours without needing to use the potty I would have to knock at the door and then beg my way into the bathroom.  She always took her own sweet time in the bathroom, she had a box full of special lotions and potions that to this day I'm still dumbfounded as to what they exactly were.   But, whatever they were she always immerged from the bath smelling fresh and clean as a whistle.  So, today I took a bath.  Truthfully, I love a bath, but I don't have her gift for the hours on end bath.  I was bored after about 20 minutes, but I have to say I did feel better after it.

Another thing I did today was bake oatmeal cookies.  Oatmeal cookies were the staple treat around my house growing up.  We didn't have a lot of sugar cereals or candy laying around, oatmeal cookies were about as sweet as it got.  My mom instructed me until I was old enough to follow a recipe and then I was set free to enjoy the tradition on my own.  I have a good friend that still talks about the memories of making cookies at my house.  So, today I baked a batch of oatmeal cookies.

Just a couple of things that have stood out to me today that distinctly remind me of my mother.  I guess it's good to have a few memories stacked up around me to remind who I came from and how I may resemble her in some ways, even in the small things.

1 comment:

Amy and Dane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.