Thursday, March 26, 2009

Go Utes! and cougars?

I'm disappointed, Harrison is a Ute fan, it's official.  At the ripe old age of 3, he's completely immersed in the wonderful world of sports and Chris insists he has nothing to do with his affinity for the U and tries to remain neutral.  Like a three year old can really decide all of this on his own.  Sigh, how does a BYU alum that not a big sports fan try to make up for the fact that Harrison has already been or watched on TV numerous sporting events for the U?  I make things up...

Here's the scene, Harrison and I are outside swinging and chatting a couple of weeks ago.  Our neighbors come outside in blue T-shirts.  Now, these T-shirts were not Cougar shirts, they just happened to be a nice "Cougar blue." It's so rare to see anything or anyone in a Cougar blue around here that I seize the opportunity.  
I say to Harrison, "Joni likes the Cougars..." 
Harrison looked over and pauses as he takes in the scene, finally he agrees, "Joni likes the Cougars."
I lead a little further, "Joni likes the cougars, does Harrison like the cougars too?
Looks at me, no hesitation, "No, Harrison likes Utah." 

I later relay the story to Chris as evidence that my child is being unfairly persuaded.  Chris, of course, not very sympathetic only remarks, "Does Joni know she likes the cougars?"  Okay, maybe I took unfair advantage of our good neighbor, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  

Harrison has asked for a chocolate football and soccer cake for his little family birthday party and oh ya, he wants a U on it.  Where does he come up with this stuff?  I ordered it today,  I filled all of his requests, but I did ask them to put a small Y on it somewhere.  I'm not giving in just yet, I have a little bit of Cougar Pride left in me.  Didn't have much while I actually attended the Y, but this feels personal.  Can you blame me?

3 comments:

Annie said...

Welcome to my life. Avie's been brainwashed since Day 1 and my completely unsubtle methods to persuarde her to the blue side have been 100% ineffective . . . and I am a sports fan. Who wants to cheer for Mom's team when Dad and his entire family cheer so loudly for the red one? Hate it.

Better luck with Carter, maybe? That's what I'm hoping with Eliza. :)

Amy and Dane said...

Nah, we will get Carter too. It's only a matter of time until he realize who his big brother rooting for :)

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Laura! Too funny! Sounds like you're outnumbered over there in that passive aggressive territory. I giggled so much!